Wednesday, April 6, 2011

What's in bloom?

As we are getting into the 2011 growing season, I am going to start posting weekly about what flowers are in bloom in my garden. Some of the gardening message boards that I like post this subject line and it is fun to read about what is in bloom, especially when everyone is in a different part of the country!

To be honest, I never was much interested in gardening before I had a house. I remember telling my husband before we bought our first house, "I'm really excited to have a house so I can plant a garden." Once we had the house, I started looking at landscapes more closely and I started trying things in the garden. I took to it and here we are.

So, this week, here are some pics of what is in bloom:


Hyacinths are one of my favorite bulbs to grow. They smell so beautiful and are great as a cut flower. They also return each year fairly reliably, although they can peter out after several years.



The daffodils are also in bloom right now. I have some yellow with an orange-tinged center. The above daffodil is really pretty with creamy petals and a ruffly yellow center. My neighbor bought a gigantic bag last fall and had some leftover, so she gave them to me....bonus. : )

1 comment:

Roeshel said...

Lucky, lucky! Beautiful! If you have flowers, then I should too. Not quite yet but I do see stems and leaves. :)

Have a great weekend, Jennifer!

Roeshel