Sunday, July 10, 2011

Metallica

You may remember--if you read my blog--that I recently had a rash of spray painting going on. I just can't get enough.

I spray painted an old frame of my grandmothers that has beautiful moulding, but was a little chipped and needed an update. My mom is great about this....when she passes a family item on, I ask her if she cares if I paint it. She always says she'd rather I paint it and display it, than to keep it as is and store it somewhere because it doesn't work in my house.

And, when I posted about this frame last time, one commenter wanted to see the pics that were in it (totally 70s). Here is an example....


Different frame, but in this style....of me and my sister. This particular portrait is my sis. Sorry, Leah....: )

Frame before painting:


Frame after painting:


So, I decided I was going to put some grey fabric in the frame. First, I had to repair the cardboard backing. It was torn, since my mom took some of the portraits out before she passed it on to me. I used some clear packing tape on the back.


Then, I spray painted it with my metallic paint so the cardboard color wouldn't show through the fabric.


Put in the frame, it looked like this. I was hoping the big tear was not going to be noticeable.


Here is the fabric I chose. I loved it as soon as I saw it! Itwas $9 for half a yard.


I put the fabric in, pulled it taut and then added the glazier's points around the edges.



Then, I cut off the excess fabric.



And the finished product?


I like the texture that the fabric adds. Plus, the colors of the frame and fabric pick up the grey color below the chair rail in this room. I'm not sure on the grey vase to the right....maybe a little too modern? It came from IKEA and I'm considering returning it. The urns on the left were spray painted also and have a bit of a textured flowery pattern to them.

Many changes still coming to this room!




[beforeAndAfterButton3.gif]



7 comments:

c.w.frosting said...

Pretty, I like the texture too! Great color combination with the yellow.

-caroline @ c.w.frosting

Tulip and Turnip said...

So pretty! I cannot get enough gray and yellow lately...

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

The Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop became the coolest party on the block because of your participation. Thank you!

Joselyn said...

Love the frame and the fabric. The silver finish is so much more contemporary. Well done. Hope you will stop by for a visit and enter my summer giveaway.

BluBabesCreate said...

Love that silver and gray!

Leah B said...

That is a hot pic of me. Loves!!

Bonnie ~ a wee Meenit said...

what did you use to spray the frame with. I am looking for an idea for a finish like that on an old mirror!!