Monday, March 28, 2011

Cleaning for spring

This weekend, the spirit moved me.

To clean.

As I said to my husband on Saturday morning, "I'm in the zone." His reply? "I'd better stay out of your way." I don't think he was kidding.

It started a few weeks ago when I noticed how dusty the shelves in our kitchen cabinets were. So, I started up on Saturday morning. I did the lower and the upper cabinets....they hadn't been wiped or dusted out since we moved in almost two years ago. It started me on a frenzy. Here's a pic of the only cabinet in which we keep food:


It was taken after I'd already cleaned out 1.5 shelves. I am getting rid of some cookbooks I haven't used in years....Half Price Books, here we come.

This shelf is a bane of my existence:



Ugh. I can never find what I need. This is marginally better:



I think it would look even better if I took myself off to the Container Store and found some things to help me organize the medicine shelf!

I also cleaned out the spices:


Those were a few of the casualties. I'm not sure when I used tarragon leaves last. I was especially mortified by this:


Wow. 11+ year old parsley flakes. I bet those tasted awesome. Although, in my defense, I do have some new and improved spice storage going on. More on that later this week.



 
Ahhh. Much better. I even had room for Charlie's chef hats that he made at preschool that he likes to wear when he "cooks." All in all, I felt so much better after cleaning out cabinets. I was able to start a bag or two for Goodwill. I also got some bedding washed and changed...a good chore for a chilly March weekend.


Lots to share this week!

No comments: