Monday, July 18, 2011

DIY Silhouettes

Our living room has been going through a metamorphosis and I'm pleased to have finally completed my latest project. I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out, so it was definitely on the experimental side of the spectrum.

Here is our living room area before I added them. The walls are a green color that has a tinge of blue to it. We had bought the white couch and I had painted the mirror white. The mirror had been repurposed from our master bedroom and I'm loving how much light it brings into the room. It's on the wall opposite the windows. However, the mirror looked a little sparse in such a big space, so I was trying to think of what to add on the sides of the mirror....need to eliminate all of that negative space.


Sconces? Art?

I came up with the idea of silhouettes of our family. I looked around online and saw some really nice ones--especially on Etsy--but I decided to try my hand on my own.

The result...


I like the way they balance out the mirror and fill in the space.


These were pretty simple to make and I really like the personal touch it adds to the wall--without being too much! I like how the white balances the dark bookshelves to the left and the mantle is opposite the mirror, as well, so now there is a white statement on those opposite walls.


I'll post a tutorial on these later this week. ; )

[beforeAndAfterButton%255B2%255D.gif]

2 comments:

Tulip and Turnip said...

LOVE! They look fantastic! We make these in my classroom as a mother's day gift. Who doesn't love a silhouette? Can't wait for the tutorial!

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

Wow! These look amazing!!!!
They totally polish off that wall space

Jenny
www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com