Sunday, February 12, 2012

What winter?

As much as I can't wait for the winter months to end, we sure have not had much of that in the last few months.


We have had three inches of measurable snowfall so far this season. Last February, we had twenty inches in the month alone. I miss this.....


What's worse is that we have had rain, rain, rain....more rain.....and, oh yeah, RAIN. Last year we set a record for the total rainfall in a year--over 70 inches. So, it's been milder with lots of rain. Our backyard is a perpetual muddy sponge. My husband is about to lose his mind, wiping the dog's paws each time she comes in.


Apparently, the jet stream is parked up around the U.S./Canadian border. Would you like to come down this way, please? If the ground would freeze a bit, we wouldn't have to wipe paws, you know.


Now, I don't like how long the winter months seem, but at least usually we have some snow, of which I love the look. Snow means snow days and like any teacher out there, I appreciate a few snow days here and there. We have had zip....zero.....nada.


Being the garden freak that I am, I'm a little concerned about how my bulbs are popping up a bit. I'm sure Mother Nature will get it right in the end, but usually the bulb-popping gives me a bit of a thrill in March. (I'm easily thrilled.) There is a red maple that I check out while I am on bus duty, watching the students get off or get on the bus--now, that's a thrill--and it is setting buds. It usually does not look like that until mid-March.


So. There you have it. We shall see, won't we? In the meantime, I sure would like a good Winter Storm Warning to be issued......

No comments: