Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas Treats, Part 2--Caramels

The other treat I make annually? Caramels. I have a voracious sweet tooth (or a sweet molar....) and caramels are right up there. I found this recipe in the paper several years ago and decided to give it a try. I must say, my first attempt was less than stellar. Let's just say it would have made a lovely caramel.....sauce.


To start, a buttered 8x8 pan.


Here's what I started with....cream, two kinds of sugar and a bit of salt.


Although this recipe is labor-intensive, I love that it fits into one of my favorite cooking categories--five ingredients or fewer!


You will need a candy thermometer....


The mixture will be heated three times to a certain degree. Basically, caramels are just burned sugar. : )


After it has been cooked up, you stir in vanilla and pour it into the pan.


Typically, I let them cool overnight before I cut them.


Cut into 1in pieces and wrap in waxed paper.




The recipe is a bit long with the boiling instructions! : ) If you would like it, let me know by comment or email and I will send it to you!

No comments: