Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Necklace makeover--tutorial

Have you ever had one of those pieces of jewelry that used to be fun, but.....well, just aren't your style anymore? My sister sometimes passes on to me pieces of jewelry she doesn't want anymore.

I have to be honest, I'm not sure I ever wore this one below. I think it probably didn't match anything I wore and I was not fashion-forward enough to mix it with other colors yet. But....as you can see, I had a project in mind......I decided to use a fabric to cover the beads on the necklace.


I picked up a fabric quarter at the fabric store--which are really meant for quilting, but I like buying just a small bit of fabric for projects like this. It's best to choose a small-scale print. Keep in mind if you choose a large-scale print, you won't really see the print, if you know what I mean, since the beads aren't big enough to show all of the parts of the bigger print.


I laid out the necklace over the fabric and pinned down to make a tube of fabric. Remember, if your're newer to sewing like me, to lay the necklace on the right side of the fabric (because we're going to turn it inside out).



Once I had pinned, I cut off my tube and sewed from each end towards the middle. I got stuck here a bit. Since the beads are graduated in size, I had to leave an opening in the middle. Otherwise, I would never have gotten the largest bead through the tube.


Here is my tube with the opening, wrong side out. 



I then turned it right side out and threaded the ends of the necklace through to the ends of the tube. Here you can see the largest bead in the opening.


I then hand-stitched it closed, using a slip stitch-like stitch. It doesn't have to be perfect....the print will hide mistakes and also no one will notice it once we're all done. (They'll just be admiring your fab new necklace)


Once the opening is sewed shut, you are ready to tie in between the beads. Using a matching or coordinating thread, start with the largest bead and tie thread tightly between the beads. I went around once, knotted, then went around again and knotted again......just to make sure I don't have to repair it.


Continue doing so down the necklace, until you reach the chain. Then do the other side, starting at the largest. If you start at the end, you'll end up with extra fabric when you get to the middle. 


Here it is, all tied up, but still needing to be finished.


To finish, trim the end of the fabric where you have tied the last bead. It won't matter that it doesn't have a seam. I also covered the little bead at the end of the chain, but don't have that pictured.


And here it is, on me....


Depending on the fabric, the possibilities are endless!


Party Time......
Time Travel Thursday at The Brambleberry Cottage
Fridays Unfolded at Stuff and Nonsense
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Show and Share Day at Just a Girl
Simply Creations Link Party at Simple Home Life
Addicts (not so) Anonymous Addicted to Decorating
Sunday Showcase Party at Under the Table and Dreaming
Project Parade at The DIY Showoff
Creative Bloggers' Party and Hop at Homemaker on a Dime
Tip-Toe Thru Tuesday at Crayon Freckles
Sunday Shake-up at Jacque's Soda Parlor
Fabulous Friday at Ohh Baby
Pinspirational Thursday at The Artsy Girl Connection
Make the Scene Monday at Alderberry Hill

13 comments:

Leah B said...

Coolio!

Andie Jaye said...

that looks so great! this was an awesome tutorial. great photos, too. and i love your finished product! i'd love it if you linked it up to my tip-toe thru tuesday party!

Unknown said...

What a terrific project-love a reuse project. Thank-you so much for sharing at Pin'Inspiration Thursday.

Unknown said...

Oh this is cool! Very creative way to switch it up a bit. Nice job!

Unknown said...

Great tutorial, I never would have thought to cover a necklace with fabric. I love it!
Thanks for linking up at Make The Scene Monday!

Unknown said...

Clever! It looks great!

about blue cedar lane said...

great idea!

Katie said...

Such a good idea! I love the after! It looks great!

Jenifer Harrod said...

I just love this its like a duvet for a necklace.
Please come to our party:
www.thezkids.blogpsot.com

Kathy said...

Wow. Your redo looks SOOO much better! What a great transformation!!

Kimberly said...

looks so good! How easy too!

Kelly @ Corner of Main said...

That is adorable!

Tanya from Dans le Lakehouse said...

Very cute! Love the texture you've created by ruching the fabric around the beads. Super pretty.