Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Many bottles consumed for this project...

Today is a snow day for me, so more time to post than usual!  We have been sick around here, so it has been a struggle to get much more than housework done and kids bathed.

I did a project over winter break using old corks.  I have been keeping them in a big basket in our living room....but as of late, I have a bit of a surplus.  I had seen pics of people who had used them to make a wreath.  So, I decided to give it a try.

I bought a 12 inch foam wreath at the craft store for $3, along with a box of toothpicks for $0.79 (I think!).  It started like this:

I began on the outer edge and then started filling in towards the center.  Some of the corks did not have a hole from the corkscrew that was defined enough to put the toothpick in....I also had to cut a few toothpicks down to size.

Once I finished, I had to replace a few corks with longer toothpicks to keep them from falling out.  Here is the finished product:

I used a grass-green printed ribbon for a shot of color.  This took me about a half-hour to do...I could see how it would be a more time-intensive project if you had a BIG wreath form!

I do like how there is a purplish tint to the wreath overall from the ends of the cork that are inside the wine bottle...

1 comment:

Fred Reeder Jr. said...

I'd like some credit in helping make the wreath, please.

(hey, someone had to drink all that wine!)