Saturday, February 2, 2013

Good news/bad news

You know, ever since the holidays....or maybe BEFORE the holidays, I have had this perennial feeling of, "If I can get through just this one thing, I'll be fine and things will let up." I guess you just never know what's coming around the bend.

January was a blur of child's birthday, school stuff and basketball games. In case you don't know, I direct our school's basketball pep band. Four games in one week. Hm.

So, to give you an idea of the conglomeration of events that been going on in my world, let's play a game I play with my students. It's called Good News or Bad News.

I'll pick Bad News first. A student at our school was killed in a car wreck two weeks ago in a huge 90-car pileup. She was just 12 years old. Needless to say, it has rocked our world and it has been quite a trial to help the students through this, much less for all of the teachers to deal with their own grief. This little girl lived down our street and has two brothers at my school....one of whom is in the same class she was in. They were twins. This is the first time I have ever experienced losing a student that I had in class. It is one of the saddest things I have ever experienced in my profession and one I never want to repeat.

Okay...how about some Good News? Next week, I will be presenting at our state music education conference. Wow. A 90-minute presentation! With two of my colleagues. We have spent HOURS working on this and it has been quite an experience. We will be sharing how we teach our class of multiple-disability students and I am so excited for us to share what we do. And hopefully help out someone else who teaches them as well. Can't wait. I have been thinking about my outfit as well, lol!!!

So, needless to say, it has been quite a month. At least it has made January, my LEAST favorite month, go by quickly. We painted our bathroom....finally!!! I will post some pics of that. I'm planning to try my hand at a little project to go in said bathroom.

And it's snowing today. I love it! Hope you are staying warm where you are.

2 comments:

Jen @ Domesticated Nomad said...

Oh, wow. I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your student. No words...

Good luck with your presentation! That is so cool. You'll do great, I'm sure. :)

Aimee said...

Hi!! I'm also a teacher, mom, & blogger in ohio! Looking forward to reading your blog & getting to know you!