Saturday, September 1, 2012

The shrub that ate my garden....

Happy Labor Day weekend to all of you. I must say, although this is the "unofficial" end of summer, I am a huge fan of a holiday weekend devoted solely to giving laboring people a day off.

Not to mention...we just finished our first full week of school here and it was quite a long week. I'm glad to be putting all of this beginning-of-the-year stuff behind us....

We are also anticipating the arrival of the Remnants of Isaac here. While I welcome the rain wholeheartedly, I'm hoping it doesn't totally wash out everyone's outdoor plans. :)  Much could be said about the unusual growing season we have had....but I think a picture says it best.


Yes, there it is, the shrub that ate my garden. 

I have learned a lot from this shrub this year. First of all, let me say that I really love this plant. It is caryopteris 'Blue Knight'....also known as blue spirea or blue mist shrub. It provides a shot of color in late summer/early fall after most other perennials have had their day in the sun. My particular plant is just a few years old. I bought it in the bargain bin of our local fall plant outlet sale at a nursery. I think it was $3.


Since we had such a mild winter, everything started blooming out about 4-6 weeks early. This means that it was big by June and starting to put on bloom. I actually called my favorite garden radio show to ask about it. Yes, I am a huge gardening GEEK. I was advised to cut it back and let it bloom again.

Well, I did and it is. So....admittedly, this plant is probably too big for its location. At this point, you can't see the Knockout rose behind it. While I am absolutely loving the bloom on it, I need to make a decision.....

1) I could leave it where it is. Clearly, this go-'round has shown me that I can cut it back. Perhaps next year, I cut it back to the size I prefer in mid-June. I'd hate to lose the blooms, but maybe it would work.

2) I could move it to a place where it can just grow to its heart content. I really love it, so I don't want to move it away from its place of prominence, but I have another place in the front that would work.

I'll keep you posted. Meanwhile, enjoy some pics of it....




Clearly, the bees like it....



If you have this plant, I'd love some words of wisdom!

Have a GREAT weekend!

1 comment:

Fred Reeder Jr. said...

Love the plant, too ... but I don't like the bees that come with it, and right next to the front door, no less. How's a fella supposed to sit on the front step and watch the world go by, when all he can do is peek nervously at a bee-infested plant?